Thursday, March 22, 2007

T + 0.5 days. Decisions

I haven't turned the Mac on since the initial setup the other night. I've been emailing questions to friends and striving to make informed decisions.

For example, copying my data files over to the Mac. My home directory/folder has high-level directories for Documents, Movies/Videos (I forget the name), and Music. I spoke with a friend and reaffirmed that it would be wise to drop my MP3 files in the existing Music folder, vids and stuff under the existing Movies folder, and then my other documents under the existing Documents folder. Sounds trivial, but I want to be thinking in Mac as I perform these initial tasks.

Same for the email client. I need a POP3 email client for some business stuff, and the consensus seems to be the provided Mail client is sufficient. Moreover, there are add-ons available for it out in the market. Ivan recommeneded www.hawkwings.net to me.

Oh, please let me know if you have any recommendations for a GUI client to move files between my Linux server and the Mac. I downloaded something called Fugu(?) but it's not nearly as good as WinSCP for Windows. I only want this for the initial, mass-move of files. Once I'm setup, I'll use the rsync or rsyncx command to backup to my Linux server.

1 comment:

Luke said...

Open your terminal and use SCP silly :)

Alternatively, if you want to use the mouse you can use the very handy SSHFS via macFUSE. It essentially lets you mount an SSH "disk"

http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/