Saturday, November 10, 2007

I upgraded to Leopard

I upgraded to OS 10.5 (Leopard) last night. No serious problems, easy upgrade process, and my Macbook Pro laptop definitely seems faster using the new operating system. My observations:

  • Before the upgrade, I moved off some data files to ensure I had sufficient disk space. I took all software patches from the various vendors (Apple, Microsoft for Office on my Mac, Parallels, AdiumX, and so on). I also did a backup of my data files.
  • I have not installed any unusual software on this Mac laptop. Unknown if that made my upgrade be fast and successful.
  • I rebooted just prior to the upgrade to ensure most applications were stopped.
  • Total time to upgrade was approximately 90 minutes.
  • Seems to be a tad higher on memory consumption. Nothing drastic, but now I'm thinking I'd like to increase from 2Gb to 3Gb of memory for when I have everything running (including Parallels).
  • As of this morning I only have a slight problem with the third-party chat/IM client AdiumX - it connects to Google and Yahoo, but not to MSN.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pete, I upgraded on the day of the announcement. My PowerBook G4 runs faster.

I also migrated off Entourage onto Mail because I was CRASHING 8 times a day. Mail is running great, but I have uncovered a problem where I go to reply to a message or open a note. Nothing happens, I try this again a few more times. Still nothing happens. Next time I launch Mail, I have multiple draft replies and multiple notes and my original note is gone and all my information is lost.

Adobe Photoshop won't launch at all. Fireworks and Dreamweaver work great.

Overall happy with the upgrade.

Linda Devers